Make your partner feel extra loved on their special day. Here are creative ways to bridge the gap and celebrate a long distance birthday.
Being in a long-distance relationship teaches you to value the precious moments you have with your loved one, no matter how small or mundane.
There are countless ways to stay connected and continue strengthening your bond across the distance when birthdays and anniversaries come around.
The power of love can, and will, cover the miles between you and your significant other.
If you are able to take time off to travel, then physically crossing the distance may be the best gift you could give them... But if not, have no fear, because we’ve curated some ideas to help you celebrate their birthday from afar.
Coordinate a virtual surprise party
Gather your loved one’s closest friends and family members, and host a virtual surprise party on video chat. Surprise them by setting a time to call the birthday person as a group! Mail festive party hats and balloons to everyone involved to add even more fun to the celebration and put a smile on your loved one’s face.
Send them a cake through the mail
Although you can’t be there in person, everyone still wants a delicious cake to mark their special day! Bake Me a Wish is a gourmet online cake delivery service that will deliver a gorgeous cake straight to your loved one’s doorstep. The cake comes wrapped in an elegant gift box with a meaningful greeting card especially for them.
When the cake arrives at the birthday person, video chat them to sing “Happy Birthday” and celebrate together!
Make them a birthday video or hand-made scrapbook
For their birthday, create a video timeline of special moments throughout your relationship, starting from the day you met and ending at a current clip of you wishing your loved one a happy birthday. Remembering and cherishing the beautiful memories you’ve shared with your loved one is a powerful way to build your connection across the distance.
For those who would rather send a physical birthday present, creating a hand-made scrapbook is a beautiful way to honor your loved one on their special day. Think of a unified theme for your scrapbook, such as a travel journal with all the places you’ve visited together, or simply a celebration of your love.
To start your scrapbook, head to your local arts & crafts store and check these items off your list:
Card stock: These hard papers serve as the base of your scrapbook
- Patterned paper: These papers work as the personalized, design elements within your scrapbook
- Embellishments: This includes buttons, laces, beads, ribbons, stickers, and any other materials you use to enhance each page
- Adhesives: From tapes to glues, make sure you have a durable adhesive (like double-sided tape or a glue gun) to help secure your decorations
- Photos: What’s a scrapbook without pictures? A helpful tip is to organize your photos into various piles, that way you know what designs and embellishments best represent each page
- Binding: This last part of your scrapbook can be as simple or complex as you’d like. Check out different binding ideas here.
Take them on a virtual shopping spree
If the birthday person is an online-shopping enthusiast, take them on the ultimate birthday gift shopping spree! Using websites like Samesurf, you can browse the web and share your screens together in real-time, from any device or browser. Make it a fun bonding experience by video chatting with your romantic partner as you surf the web.
Surprise them with a singing telegram
For a truly memorable birthday experience, surprise your loved one with a singing telegram! To make this a sincerely meaningful gift, you can personalize a singing telegram to be as specific as you’d like. If your romantic partner loves Kermit the Frog, send a real-life Kermit to their door to wish them a Happy Birthday.
Write (and sing) them a love song
Writing or singing a love song is one of the most heartfelt things you can do to show someone how much they mean to you.
Whether you’re already a well-versed musician or you’ve never picked up an instrument in your life, try your hand at writing the perfect love song with these simple tips:
- Express your passion. Don’t hold back your passion when writing your love song. Love has the power to bring out a strong romantic side within us all, so express it freely!
- Personalize your lyrics. As humans, we all have our own definition and interpretation of love. Write from your experiences and make your song an honest reflection of what love is to you.
- Approach it with a light heart and have fun! Don’t take yourself too seriously and enjoy the process of writing meaningful words to your loved one. Once you’ve written your song, play it live for them on their big day!
- Check out a free guide on how to compose a love song here.
…If composing songs is not your forte, opt to create a personalized playlist for that special someone.
Create a bundle of “Open When Letters”
Surprise your significant other with a bundle of “open when” letters; letters that are designed to be opened by your loved one on certain occasions or when they are feeling specific emotions. The letters can consist of inspirational quotes, a handmade poem, or a beautiful drawing or photograph to brighten your loved one’s day.
Here are some “Open When” letter ideas that will help you be there for your loved one across the distance:
- Open When You Miss Me
- Open When You Need a Laugh
- Open on Your Birthday
- Open When You Need a Hug
- Open When You Find Something that Reminds Me of You
Curate a personalized LDR gift basket
If you want to show your love in a multitude of ways, from a handwritten love note to a nice box of chocolates, sending your romantic partner a customized gift basket is a beautiful way to celebrate their long-distance birthday.
Outside the Boxes has exquisitely curated gift baskets that allow you to hand-select the ultimate basket for that special someone.
If you’re choosing to put together your very own gift basket for your loved one, you could build it around a theme, such as a complete spa kit, the ultimate baker’s basket, or an at-home gardener’s starting set. You’ll be sure to put a smile on your loved one’s face by including items that directly relate to their interests and passions.
Send a long-distance gift that will bring you closer
Remember, a long-distance relationship is a unique circumstance that not everyone gets to experience in their lifetime. Aside from the challenges that being apart can arise, there are many beautiful attributes to being in an LDR. The distance can strengthen the bond between you and your partner that extends beyond the physical.
Finding a gift tailored to long-distance love is a beautiful way to make the miles between you and your loved one more exciting and meaningful.
What long-distance relationship birthday gift ideas do you have? Leave ideas in the comments below.